One Planet Bruton is a community group working towards a sustainable future.
The group was formed in response to a call by local school children for our Council to declare a ‘Climate Emergency’.
On 26 March 2019, Bruton Town Council adopted the following resolutions:
- Declare a ‘Climate Emergency’.
- Write to Bruton’s schools thanking our schoolchildren for demonstrating their ecological concerns, and pledging support for addressing this as a Council.
- Pledge to do everything within the Town Council’s power to make Bruton carbon neutral by 2030.
- Set up a Working Group to review all Town Council policies and activities to assess how they might be modified to reduce emissions. This Working Group to report back to Full Council within 6 months with a Proposal for adoption by the TC. Said Proposals to be reviewed annually.
- In the absence of Bruton specific emissions data, to work to make our contribution to South Somerset achieving our regional target by 2030.
- Call on Westminster to provide the powers and resources to make the 2030 target possible.
- Sign up to the Covenant of Mayors.
- Work with Bruton’s residents, businesses and other organisations to meet the 2030 target.
- Call on All Local Principal Authority Council’s to take similar actions.
We formed on the 1st April 2019 to work with the Town Council under resolution 8 above.
We are now working up a plan using Bioregional’s One Planet Living framework (https://www.bioregional.com/resources/one-planet-living-principles)
- Health and happiness
Encouraging active, social, meaningful lives to promote good health and wellbeing
- Equity and local economy
Creating safe, equitable places to live and work which support local prosperity and international fair trade
- Culture and community
Nurturing local identity and heritage, empowering communities and promoting a culture of sustainable living
- Land and nature
Protecting and restoring land for the benefit of people and wildlife
- Sustainable water
Using water efficiently, protecting local water resources and reducing flooding and drought
- Local and sustainable food
Promoting sustainable humane farming and healthy diets high in local, seasonal organic food and vegetable protein
- Travel and transport
Reducing the need to travel, encouraging walking, cycling and low carbon transport
- Materials and products
Using materials from sustainable sources and promoting products which help people reduce consumption
- Zero waste
Reducing consumption, reusing and recycling to achieve zero waste and zero pollution
- Zero carbon energy
Making buildings and manufacturing energy energy-efficient and supplying all energy with renewables
One Planet Bruton is a Community Interest Company limited by guarantee. Its objects are to carry on activities which benefit the community and, in particular, to work with Bruton's residents, businesses and other organisations to enable current and future residents to live happy, healthy lives within the limits of the planet, using Bioregional's One Planet Living framework. Our specific objects are to support, develop, initiate and manage community projects and interactions in line with the ten One Planet Living principles.
One Planet Bruton CIC
Registered company no: 12070076 (in England and Wales)
Registration date: 26 June 2019
Registered address: Bruton Community Office, 26 High Street, Bruton, BA10 0AA
Sign-up as a member of this site to join groups and contribute or comment.
Sign up to our mailing list here.
Donate to One Planet Bruton CIC